Sunday 1 September 2013

Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving - Terry Pratchett

I resigned this week. A big, scary moment. And I don't like moments. Especially big, scary ones. It wasn't big and scary because I didn't want to resign. This was the culmination of long hours of thought and reflection. It was scary because I had to voice the long hours of thought and reflection which till then had remained more or less private. And private thoughts can be whatever you want them to be. Setting them free, exposing them, exposing you. Well, that is of course a whole different matter...

Still, it is now done. And yet that was only the beginning. The work really starts from here on in. I have no job, nowhere to live, I have cats to care for, furniture to transport. And I'm more than a tad nervous.

Yet now it's out there, I can't wait to get home. To return to Ynys Môn. To Anglesey. Mam Cymru. To start building the next part of my life there. To be in places I loved as a child. Places that thrill me every time I visit. To be closer to my family, old friends, old memories. And to make new ones.

I make a parenthesis here and acknowledge that the Royal residents are leaving just as I arrive. I'm trying not to read anything into this. But if you know me well, you know that I'm not good at not interpreting events, situations, coincidences. Even the merest twitch of an eyebrow. This "event" seems too big not to interpret. Yet, I must close the parenthesis. I have too much to do at the moment to distract myself with such worries. At least, for now.

I have much to tie up before I can rejoice in my homeland. Not least of which are all these dear people I know and love here. Who I tie up in my heart and carry on back with me. Yes, I'm hormonal today. Hence the sop. But it'll pass. I'll hold it together better. Sometime soon. Very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment