Monday 25 November 2013

Beaumaris / Biwmares

This is a lovely, quaint little town which was a major sea port in times gone by. The name comes from the French. Of course. They called it beaux marais. Beautiful marshes. Of which there are fewer today, methinks. Still, the beauty remains.

One of the central features of the town is the castle built on the orders of Edward I of England. To keep the Welsh under control. One of a chain of castles he had built across North Wales for this purpose. By the French. Some at least. Who then named the town. Et voilà. It's a particularly stunning castle. With a moat. And really is a must to visit.

The town also boasts a Victorian jail (known as the gaol) and a Court dating back to 1614. Both are huge tourist attractions. I know. We were taken to visit them by my primary school. I can still recall how creepy they both were. The gaol was dark and grim. Full of chains and fetters. Stories of punishment and hangings. Then into the prisoner's room of the Court. Hearing more stories of more criminals. I still have photographs of us all in the dock. Not a happy place. 

And let's not forget the ducking stool. Which incidentally I never have. It was my first encounter with the horrifying consequences of superstition, prejudice and fear. Ducking women suspected of being witches into water. Their death proving their innocence. Too much for my ten-year-old - and very just - mind.

Thankfully things are so much more civilised in the town today. Tea and coffee shops galore. Gift shops and novel boutiques. Quaint streets, cute cottages. And a stunning view over the Menai Straits and across the Snowdonia Mountain range. It's hard to believe there could ever have been anything bad there at all.


 





 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I have mentioned that my friend and her husband spend a lot of time in the area as her Aunt has a 'holiday cottage' near the castle...now I see why! Beautiful photos (as always...hope they are on your site for sale!). And fingers crossed for both George (the game this weekend) and for you (jobs ahoy!). Tu me manques! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! But really the photos hardly do it justice. This place is truly awesome. I'd forgotten. Or maybe I never really noticed...

      Delete