Thursday 26 December 2013

In Wales, it's eight different weathers in a day - Piper Perabo

I finally managed to get out for a walk today. Between the horrendous gales and incessant rain. Strode out and filled my lungs with cool, fresh, salty air. It was so delightful.

My thoughts remain with those across the country less fortunate. Who are clearing away the aftermath of the latest gales. Dreading, along with them, the next onslaught. Whipping up outside now as I write.

The greatest inconvenience afforded me here has been the inability to get outside freely and easily. Oh, and the inability to put the bins out. Without causing damage to myself or others. Minor inconveniences, you will agree. But inconveniences, all the same.
 
I did manage to clamber into my car during a break in the rain. I had to get out and drove around the coast. The sights were astounding. Trees bent over. Bins flying around. Waves beyond belief. And people lying on surfs in those amazing waves hoping for a ride or two. Absolutely astounding.

But walking out is so liberating. Faster or slower, as you wish. Or as your muscles will allow. I took a detour onto Holyhead Mountain while the weather was good. To see where my aunt previously lived. The memories! One thing though. I don't remember people being so vocal in their friendliness in days gone by. Everyone calls out greetings as you go by. It's heartwarming! Where did that come from? Maybe it was always there and I just didn't see it...

Something that certainly wasn't always there: the Christmas jumper. It has returned. Now where did that come from? It's the strangest phenomenon. I remember it as a child. Haunting us in presents from not-so-cool aunts and uncles. But then it became so uncool it wouldn't be touched with a barge pole by any right-minded person. Now it appears it's so uncool it's cool. It's taking some mental adjustment on my behalf to rationalise. Not judge, just rationalise. Such are the perils of the expat returning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment