Tuesday 10 December 2013

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open - Jawaharlal Nehru

I am back on my feet and raring to go. Well, pretty much. The air is fresh and ever-so-slightly cold, so being outside is a relief after four days indoors. And a blast. In so many ways.

I made my first outing yesterday. Under the cover of my lovely little car. I pootled off to an interview in the middle of nowhere. A most beautiful nowhere. In the middle of the island. Just fields of the greenest green as far as the eye could see. Dotted with stone cottages and country lanes. Tractors. And sheep. Always sheep.

It was a wonderful drive. A tad difficult to concentrate on the scenery with the rather tight country lanes to negotiate. Still I took my time. And took in en route Llyn Alaw, a man-made reservoir of fair size. Although my fair size and yours may not be the same. So to be precise, a surface area of 3.6 sq² (1.4 mi²). Only mentioned because it made me smile. As only good memories can. Three of us bunked off school on my 18th birthday and drove out to the lake for a picnic. A blustery but clement September day. Full of fun. Followed by not-so-fun reprimands from the school. Good memories all the same...

Today I took in more air. I went down to the allotment. To examine the piece of land conferred to me. But mainly to work. Manure arrived. Oh yes. Tons of the stuff. Or what appeared to be tons. Delivered in a pile by a very nice farmer. To be wheel-barrowed onto our soil and spread. That was my job: spreading. Not as easy as it may sound. But spread it I did. And if the sharp air hadn't cleared my germ-filled lungs, then believe me manure did. Fresh and fragrant. Most foully fragrant.

But it was somehow fulfilling work. On the land. In the land. Worms and all. The dung will now hopefully do its thing and we'll reap the rewards throughout the coming year. I have great plans. Onions and garlic. Leeks and potatoes. Carrots and courgettes and aubergines. Now I just have to learn to garden...





No comments:

Post a Comment