Friday 16 May 2014

Travel brings wisdom only to the wise. It renders the ignorant more ignorant than ever - Joe Abercrombie

What is it about chips from the chippie? There's really no explanation why they are so good. But they are. The whole experience is so good. The smell, the feel, the paper. The nostalgia. A great Friday night dinner.

And digesting my chips, I've been reflecting on the past few weeks. Full of activity and entertainment. But of very little writing. I had an abundance of inspiration. Just no desire. Would this be the infamous writer's block? Methinks not. I'd have to be a writer for that, and I would never be so bold. Still something was blocked. Somewhere. But let's not dwell on that...

Anyway since my last entry, spring has certainly sprung and life is everywhere. Flowers and colours decorate the landscape. Animals are out in the fields, birds are singing gaily. And there's lots of road kill.

The rabbits continue to multiply amidst calls to manage them. And we now have calves on the farm. Cute and vocal.

But my most delightful experience of the recent weeks was watching a foal being born. Yes, really. In the field by my office. Before my very eyes. And no ordinary foal. A shire into the bargain. A beautiful, big, bouncing boy. It was totally amazing on all levels.

I learned more in that day about horses than I've ever learned in my life. I was taken into the field during the day to see the pregnant mare "waxing". I have to admit that I was a tad trepidatious standing alongside this huge beast. So huge she could rest her chin on my head with little effort. She was untethered. I was unprotected. She nibbled my shoulder as I scratched her neck and I nearly had kittens. Apparently it was a sign of affection. I understood that it was so. I just couldn't believe it. 

She stayed extremely close during my visit. Even when I tried to give us a bit of space. I'd step away. She'd step closer. And then she walked me back out of the field. I was trying to read her expression. To see if she was happy. Of if she was just playing with me. But apparently she genuinely liked me. Apparently.

Still when she finally went down to give birth, she was so dignified. In spite of the (rather overexcited) audience. I was so impressed. I watched the forward hooves of the foal come out first, followed by the long, and very big, colt in its white sack. Thoroughly amazing. I don't think I've seen anything born in my life. I was awestruck. Amy, the mare, sat up and ate, while we fussed, and took photos, and watched her youngster try to gather his ungainly legs to stand up. I've never had such affection for a horse before. I think I want one. To add to  the lambs and chickens and rabbits on my dream small holding...

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment